Saturday, September 20, 2008

I, Claudia

It is rare that I find myself in near complete agreement with a theatre reviewer. One of the few times I found myself doing so, was recently when I saw I, Claudia, at the GCTC, after reading the review by Natasha Gauthier in the Ottawa Citizen.

All her specific critiques, I found to be dead-on. She didn't differentiate enough between Claudia and her stepmother, the voices grew tiresome. The masks were fairly god-awful (perhaps I've been spoiled by a lifetime of Odyssey masks?), and didn't bring anything to the production. I found myself wanting to go up to her and push the sides of the masks down to conform to her face. They ended up looking as if they were simply made for someone else, with a much large head, than intentionally large.

That said, I do still disagree with the tone of the review. The show didn't deserve such a negative tone. It was a nice show, fairly well-written, with some extremely well done moments, particularly as the grandfather, and when the stepmother speaks of her upcoming wedding.

I also highly disagree with the statement with which she starts the review, that masks serve as a substitute for directorial imagination. Masks can be such wonderful tools, and when well-done, can truly transform a performance/performer. I remember watching actors during rehearsals for mask shows, and how magical it was watching them try their masks on for the first time. How the actor could completely become the character of the mask. How the details, right down to the shape of the nose could completely transform a character.

Mask-work is wonderful, you simply need actors and directors who know how to handle them properly!

No comments: